Wednesday 4 March 2009

Idea (Help would be nice)

After a lot of thinking with little outcome I have finally come up with idea that I would like to pursue. When we were first given the title 'My World' the first idea that popped into my head
was my girlfriend or family. As Hugh said, it wouldn't really work if your girlfriend or family lived a reasonable distance away. My girlfriend lives just out side Cambridge but I do see here every weekend but that still would not really be enough time. I do not see my family reguarly and I could not aford to go see them reguarly either, so that is out of the question. Then I thought about doing a project on my relationship with my girlfriend and the difficulties/purely what it's like to live far away from your partner.

My plan at the moment is to do two sets of images (4 or 6.) One set being images of my girlfriend; images of how 'I see her' and things that we have in common or specific things I associate with the relationship (good or bad things.) Then the second set of images would be me living without my girlfriend with a similar pattern of good and bad points.

In my previous post are some of my initial photographs which I took recently. I am going to put a few more up to show people but I will edit them down for my final prints.

What I want to do now is to flesh my idea out with more research and hopefully send me in a good direction. If anyone knows of any photographers (or artists) that they think I should have a look at that would be great because i am a bit stuck on that. It would also be nice to have a few opinions of the idea as soon as possible in case anyone thinks it would be a train wreck and think I should start again?

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you have a really good idea, cant wait to see your outcomes, because I wouldn't really know how to show... how you are feeling, without living with your g/f? etc...

    Your photographs are a good start though : )
    I really like the bottom image, where she is smoking, she looks emotional in that image, alot more than any of the others : )

    Catty x

    ReplyDelete
  2. A thought from http://cstadvertising.com/blog/

    "I think the best advice I ever heard was from Rafa Bentitez, manager of Liverpool.

    It was the European Cup final.

    That’s the two best teams in all of Europe.

    Italy, Spain, Holland, Germany, France, all the great footballing nations.

    And the very best of all the teams in Europe was AC Milan.

    And had the most expensive player in the world on their team: Andre Shevchenko.

    That’s who Liverpool were playing in the European Cup final.

    And at the end of the first half Liverpool were 3-0 down.

    3-0 down to the best team in Europe.

    Michel Platini, the ex-captain of the French national team, left his seat at half time.

    He laughed and said to the Liverpool chairman, “Looks like you will be lucky to keep the final score below 6-0.”

    Of course, all the players in the Liverpool changing room were massively depressed.

    Next door they could hear the AC Milan team celebrating already.

    3-0 down to the best team in Europe?

    There’s no way back from that.

    Then Benitez said, “Don’t think about the final result.

    Just score one goal, and see how the game can change.

    Just score one goal. That’s all.”

    Well, the team thought, maybe they couldn’t beat AC Milan, but they could probably score one goal.

    So they went out for the second half.

    And AC Milan were relaxed and over-confident.

    And Liverpool scored one goal.

    AC Milan began to wobble, this shouldn’t be happening.

    Liverpool’s confidence began to grow.

    AC Milan began to panic, they made mistakes.

    Liverpool scored another goal.

    AC Milan were on the ropes, what was happening?

    Liverpool threw everything at them.

    They scored again.

    At full time the score was AC Milan 3, Liverpool 3.

    It had to be decided on penalties.

    But AC Milan were finished now, they couldn’t believe they’d thrown it away.

    While Liverpool were buzzing, it was their night.

    Liverpool won the European Cup on penalties.

    And Michel Platini had to apologise to the Liverpool chairman.

    So whenever you’ve got a really big problem, and there’s no way you’re going to be able to get it all done.

    Don’t concentrate on thinking about the end result.

    Just get one idea."

    Rather than look for ideas from others why not edit the portraits down and then see what you have. Perhaps the images could be self portraits which echo or discuss the edited portraits. Let's see a picture to see what you're actually thinking about.

    Hugh

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I thought that I'm the only one.
    Surprisingly there is quite a lot of people that share the same issues of nostalgia. Go round other class mates blogs, maybe something turns out to be inspirational for you =]

    ReplyDelete